From John Barnes
George Town Coa 10th Augt 1816.
Yesterday I waited on Mr whann Cashr of Bank of Columa as well Mr Nourse Register of the Treasury respecting the Transfers you proposed in the Name of Genl Thads Kosciusko—now standing in your Name. The question I proposed was to Know Whether—or not—I could receive the Int & dividend as at present—when transfered—To which they both Answer’d—Neither you—(of course your substitute1) could not—
and from these premises the Atty Genl would determine Whether or not the transfer proposed could not be Accomodated to Afford the Object wishd2 for—and by depositing a sett each—in B of C. and Treasury Offices—together with your substitution I might be Allowed to receive the Int. & Dividend—rather—than wait the Uncertain Risque & delay &a in Receiving a New and formal power from Switzerland—a letter from you to the Atty Genl I persuade my self would close the Scruples of the Cashr and Treasury departmt—with great Respect
RC (ViU: TJP-ER); at foot of text: “Thomas Jefferson Esqr Monticello”; endorsed by TJ as received 16 Aug. 1816 and so recorded in SJL.
Tadeusz Kosciuszko’s original power of attorney is dated 30 Apr. 1798 (PTJ description begins Julian P. Boyd, Charles T. Cullen, John Catanzariti, Barbara B. Oberg, and others, eds., The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, 1950– , 39 vols. description ends , 30:313–5). The atty genl was Richard Rush.
1. Manuscript: “substitue.”
2. Manuscript: “Objectd wish.”
- Bank of Columbia search
- Barnes, John; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Barnes, John; letters from search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; and investment in U.S. government loan search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; and J. Barnes search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; Bank of Columbia stock of search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; power of attorney from search
- Nourse, Joseph; as register of U.S. Treasury search
- Rush, Richard; as attorney general search
- Treasury Department, U.S.; and government stock search
- United States; and government stock search
- Whann, William; as cashier of Bank of Columbia search