From David Gelston
New York 6. Aug: 1816.
The enclosed was received this day, under cover from Mr Appleton from Leghorn—presuming it gives you the information, of his having Shipped 57 bottles wine for you, by the Ship Fanny, just arrived, I need not say more, than, that, I shall pay every necessary attention—received the wine in store, and wait your orders—
with great respect & regard I am sir, your obedient servant,
RC (MHi); endorsed by TJ as received 14 Aug. 1816 and so recorded in SJL, which has the additional notation (brackets in original): “[Carmigniano] 57.b.” RC (DLC); address cover only; with PoC of TJ to Joseph Miller, 14 Oct. 1816, on verso; addressed: “Thomas Jefferson Esquire Monticello”; franked; postmarked New York, 6 Aug. Enclosure: Thomas Appleton to TJ, 30 May 1816, and enclosure.
- Appleton, Thomas; and wine for TJ search
- Carmignano, Italy; wine from search
- Fanny (schooner) search
- Gelston, David; and wine for TJ search
- Gelston, David; letters from search
- Italy; wine from search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; orders wine from T. Appleton search
- wine; Carmignano search
- wine; Italian search
- wine; TJ orders from T. Appleton search