To Patrick Gibson
Monticello July 12. 16.
In my letter of June 8. I mentioned the arrival from Marseilles of some wines for me at Philadelphia and Alexandria on which there would be some duties, freight & port charges to pay, which I must ask the favor of you to remit for me. the 2 boxes from Philadelphia I presume have come to hand; and I have just recieved a letter from Colo Simms the Collector of Alexandria informing me he put the 4. boxes recd there on board the sloop Fairplay, Charles Brown master, on the 1st inst. consigned to you, that he had paid the freight from Marseilles 13.40 D [a]nd that the duties were 27.30 D making together 40.70 D which I must ask the f[a]vor of you to remit him with as little delay as convenient, as the advance of [t]he freight was a favor on his part, requiring immediate replacement. I wish the boxes may have got to hand in time for Johnson who is now down.
I returned from Bedford two days ago. while there I drew on you in favor of Joel Yancey for 32.25 D I inclose you a renewal of my Note in bank which will be out in the course of this month. I salute you with friendship & respect.
PoC (NjMoHP: Lloyd W. Smith Collection); on verso of reused address cover of Joseph Delaplaine to TJ, 27 May 1816; three words faint; at foot of text: “Mr Gibson”; endorsed by TJ.
The 1 July 1816 letter was actually written by William D. Simms on behalf of his absent father, colo Charles Simms. The draft of 5 July 1816 in favor of Poplar Forest superintendent joel yancey reimbursed his payment of $32.25 “to John Depriest for plank.” The enclosed renewal, not found, was for a $2,000 note from the Bank of Virginia in Richmond (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1324, 1325).
- Bank of Virginia (Richmond); TJ’s loan from search
- Brown, Charles (ship captain) search
- building materials; lumber search
- Cathalan, Stephen (Étienne) (1757–1819); and wine for TJ search
- Depriest, John; and building supplies for Poplar Forest search
- Fair Play (sloop) search
- France; wines from search
- Gibson, Patrick; letters to search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); and TJ’s bank and promissory notes search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); and wine acquired by TJ search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); payments made for TJ search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; loan from Bank of Virginia search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; orders wine from S. Cathalan search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; payments to J. Depriest search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; payments to J. Yancey search
- Johnson, William (waterman); transports goods from Richmond search
- lumber; used at Poplar Forest search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); lumber for search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); TJ returns from search
- Richmond, Va.; boats transfer goods to and from search
- Simms, Charles; as collector at Alexandria search
- Simms, William Douglass; as deputy collector at Alexandria search
- wine; French search
- wine; TJ orders from S. Cathalan search
- Yancey, Joel (d.1833); TJ pays search