Draft Conveyance of Henderson Lands by John T. Wood and Lucy Henderson Wood
[ca. May 1816]
This indenture made on the day of one thousand eight hundred and sixteen between John Wood and Lucy his wife of the state of Kentucky on the one part, and Thomas Jefferson of the county of Albemarle in the commonwealth of Virginia on the other part witnesseth, that Whereas Bennet Henderson decd1 father of the sd Lucy was at the time of his death seized and possessed in feesimple of a certain tract of land around the town of Milton in Albemarle aforesaid, & adjacent thereto, one child’s portion whereof, on his death, descended in feesimple on2 the sd Lucy, who is since intermarried with the sd John; and one other child’s portion thereof descended in feesimple on Nancy Crawford Henderson, another of the daughters of the sd Bennet, who is since intermarried with Matthew Nelson, which said Matthew & Nancy Crawford his wife have in due form of law sold & conveyed the sd child’s portion so descended on the sd Nancy Crawford to the sd John Wood in feesimple.
Now therefore the sd John & Lucy his wife, in consideration of the sum of two hundred dollars to them in hand paid by the said Thomas, and of the further sum of one thousand dollars secured to be paid, have given, granted, bargained and sold3 unto the sd Thomas4 the two portions of the sd lands and their appurtenances5 held by the sd Bennet Henderson6 around the town of Milton and descended on the sd Nancy Crawford & Lucy, and all their right, title, & claim therein & in every part thereof, whether divided, or undivided, in separate or joint parcels or7 titles, in possession, reversion or action, or in any other manner or title whatsoever: To have and to hold the sd portions of the sd lands and their appurtenances,8 and all rights therein to him the said Thomas and his heirs. and the sd John & Lucy his wife, jointly & severally,9 their joint & several heirs, executors & administrators, the sd two portions of lands & appurtenances, and all rights therein to the sd Thomas & his heirs, will for ever warrant & defend. In witness whereof the sd John & Lucy his wife have hereto subscribed their names & affixed their seals on the day and year abovewritten.
|in presence of|
MS (ViU: TJP); written entirely in TJ’s hand on indented paper; partially dated; unsigned, but with wax from two seals on right side at foot of text. Dft (ViU: TJP); entirely in TJ’s hand; on verso of reused address cover of Benjamin J. Campbell to TJ, 16 Mar. 1816; partially dated; endorsed by TJ: “Wood et ux to Jefferson} rough draught of deed delivered to Wood to be executed & transmitted.”
1. Word interlined in Dft.
2. Reworked in Dft from “child’s part whereof descended on.”
3. Word interlined in Dft in place of “conveyed.”
4. In Dft TJ here canceled “all.”
5. Preceding three words interlined in Dft.
6. Reworked in Dft from “by their sd father.”
7. Preceding two words interlined in Dft.
8. Preceding three words interlined in Dft.
9. Word interlined in Dft in place of “separately.”
- Henderson, Bennett; lands of search
- Henderson, Bennett; legatees of search
- Henderson case; Draft Conveyance of Henderson Lands by John T. Wood and Lucy Henderson Wood search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; Draft Conveyance of Henderson Lands by John T. Wood and Lucy Henderson Wood search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Writings; Draft Conveyance of Henderson Lands by John T. Wood and Lucy Henderson Wood search
- Nelson, Matthew; and Milton lands search
- Nelson, Nancy Crawford Henderson (Bennett Henderson’s daughter; Matthew Nelson’s wife); and Milton lands search
- Wood, John T.; and Milton lands search
- Wood, Lucy Henderson (Bennett Henderson’s daughter; John T. Wood’s wife); and Milton lands search