Account with Gibson & Jefferson for Tobacco and Flour Sales
Sales of 10 Hhds Tobo Made on Account Thomas Jefferson Esqr
|March 15th||to Peter F Smith||sho||1660. 152.||1290|
|1662. 156.||1170||3788 @||16.55⁄||$626.91|
|〃||to Wm Gilliat||refused||224. 169.||1235|
|231. 154.||1220||3585 a||15||537.75|
|〃||to J. M Warwick||passed||1709. 142.||1100||16||176.|
|28th||to Wm Muir||refused Seab:||170. 137.||1228||Stemd||14.90⁄||182.97|
|Inspection & Extra Coope 10 Hhds 6$ toll $4.17||10.17|
|draye $2.171 Cryer 50 Cents p Hhd $5||7.17|
|Comn on $1851.45 at 2½ pCent||46.272||63.61|
|nt proceeds 10 Hhds Tobo||$1787.84|
|Sales of 2653 Barrels flour made on Acct Thomas Jefferson|
|April 8th||to William H Hubbard a 60d/.||138 Bbls Superfine||6||$828.4|
|24th||to Smith & Riddle do||81 〃 〃||6¼||506.25|
|36 〃 Fine||5¾.||207.5|
|Canal toll a 7d $22.29 on 214 Bbls||$22.29.|
|Storage 214 Bbls||9d||26.75|
|Inspn 4.286 Coope & Lining Barrels 4.60.||8.88|
|freight 178 Barrels||3/6||103.83|
|Comn on 1541.25 at 2½ pCent||38.577||200.32|
|nt proceeds flour||$1340.93||$1340.93|
|30h April 1816||$3128.77|
E[.E.] J Lig[on]
MS (MHi); entirely in James Ligon’s hand; ink stained.
sho (Shockoe) and seab: (Seabrook’s) were tobacco warehouses in Richmond (The Richmond Directory, Register and Almanac, for the Year 1819 [Richmond, 1819], 18). A crier (cryer) is “an agent who advertises or auctions another’s goods” (OED description begins James A. H. Murray, J. A. Simpson, E. S. C. Weiner, and others, eds., The Oxford English Dictionary, 2d ed., 1989, 20 vols. description ends ). 60d/.: “sixty days’ sight.” e.e.: “errors excepted.”
1. Omitted decimal point editorially supplied.
2. Correct amount is $46.29.
3. Correct number is 255.
4. In pencil at lower right Ligon noted that this debt was “Due 10th June” 1816.
5. In pencil at lower right Ligon noted that Smith & Riddle’s total debt of “713.25” was due on 26 June 1816.
6. Omitted decimal point editorially supplied.
7. Correct amount is $38.53.
- flour; at Richmond search
- flour; sale of search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); flour sold for TJ search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); tobacco sold for TJ search
- Gilliat, William; buys TJ’s tobacco search
- Hubbard, William H.; purchases TJ’s flour search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; Account with Patrick Gibson for Flour and Tobacco Sales search
- Muir, William; buys TJ’s tobacco search
- Richmond, Va.; flour prices at search
- Richmond, Va.; TJ’s tobacco sold at search
- Richmond, Va.; warehouses in search
- Smith, Peter F.; buys TJ’s tobacco search
- Smith & Riddle (Richmond firm); buys TJ’s flour search
- tobacco; price of in Richmond search
- tobacco; TJ’s income from search
- tobacco; warehouses for in Richmond search
- Warwick, John Marshall; buys TJ’s tobacco search