To Nicolas G. Dufief
Monticello April 7. 16.
I have too long neglected to remit you the amount of your account, which I believe is 24. D 68 c the reason has been that I wished to have made up a little catalogue of wants in the same way which has not yet been done; and being about setting out on a journey of a month’s absence, I must defer my catalogue, but in the mean time inclose you an order on mr Vaughan for the above sum. Accept the assurance of my great esteem and respect
RC (NNPM); at foot of text: “M. Dufief.” PoC (DLC); endorsed by TJ. Enclosure not found.
In an account dated 30 Aug. 1815 (MS in DLC: TJ Papers, 204:36419; written in Dufief’s and TJ’s hands on a small scrap; endorsed by TJ: “Dufief. N. G.”) Dufief noted TJ’s purchase of “Ovidii Opera” for $2.75. Beneath this amount TJ wrote the sum of $21.93 to settle an account Dufief had enclosed to him on 25 Aug. 1815. TJ added the two figures to arrive at the total of 24. d 68 c that he owed Dufief, and he concluded with a notation at foot of text: “1816. Apr. 7. gave order for 24.68 on John Vaughan.”
In his financial records TJ indicated that the order on Vaughan in favor of Dufief covered the “balance due him for books” (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1321).
- Burman, Pieter; editsP. Ovidii Nasonis Opera search
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; account with TJ search
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; letters to search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; orders books search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; account with J. Vaughan search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; account with N. G. Dufief search
- Ovid; P. Ovidii Nasonis Opera (ed. P. Burman) search
- P. Ovidii Nasonis Opera (Ovid; ed. P. Burnam) search
- Vaughan, John; makes payments for TJ search