From John Barnes
George Town Coa 12th Febuary 1816—
The long wished for letter from the good Genl has at length Arrived and I hasten herewith to inclose you Duplicate—you will perceive by my letter of the 19 Ulto the appt Balance of his a/c in my hands was $1130.69⁄100 exclusive of his Treasury Notes $4.500—bearing 5⅖ Int. due 16 April—to be then funded—I may therefore count on remitting him £200 Sterg on the best terms going—will I presume—Amot to somewhere abt $950—to $1000—with the expectation of another & like Remittance to follow in the fall—will I trust—be satisfactory to the General
I am quite Anxious to be favor’d with a line from you, lest indisposition may have been the cause of my not receiving One—
RC (ViU: TJP-ER); at foot of text: “Thomas Jefferson Esqr Monticello—Virga”; with enclosure on verso; endorsed by TJ as received 16 Feb. 1816 and so recorded in SJL.
The good genl was Tadeusz Kosciuszko.
- Barnes, John; account with T. Kosciuszko search
- Barnes, John; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Barnes, John; letters from search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; account with J. Barnes search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; remittances to search
- Treasury Department, U.S.; treasury notes search