To Joseph Milligan
Monticello Dec. 22. 15.
On my return here from Bedford a few days ago, I found the Hutton and Requisite tables, bound to my mind. by this mail I send you an Ovid’s metamorphoses almost entirely worne out & defaced, yet of so valuable and rare an edition that I wish you to put it into as good a state of repair as it is susceptible of. by the next mail I will forward a Cornelius Nepos to be bound. be so good as to procure and forward to me by stage the underwritten books. I salute you with friendship & esteem
|Garnett’s Requisite Tables||printed in Phila.|
|Garnett’s Nautical Almanac for 1816.|
Ainsworth’s Lat. & Eng. dict. abridged. to be bound [. . .]
the Lat. & Eng in one, & the Eng. & Lat. [. . .]
Ovid’s metamorphoses. the Delphin edn in 8vo
Cornelius Nepos. the Delphin edn if to be had; if not some other good one.
Virgil. the Delphin edn lately printed in Phil. with English notes.
Mair’s Tyro’s dictionary.
PoC (DLC); on verso of reused address cover to TJ; torn at seal, with loss of some text and one missing word rewritten by TJ; adjacent to signature: “Mr Millegan”; endorsed by TJ.
The valuable and rare edition of Ovid’s Metamorphoses that TJ wanted Milligan to rebind may have been Pub. Ouidii Nasonis Metamorphoseon, ed. Jakob Pontanus (Antwerp, 1657; TJ’s copy in ViU, with partial binding slip tipped in, reading “Calf gilt—for Mr Ran[dolph?]”).
George Richards (richardson) advertised in the Washington Daily National Intelligencer, 7 Dec. 1815, that he had lately received an eight-volume edition of Jeremiah Joyce, Scientific Dialogues, intended for the Instruction and Entertainment of Young People. While in Washington in the spring of 1816, TJ’s granddaughter Ellen W. Randolph (Coolidge) purchased the 1815 Philadelphia edition of Scientific Dialogues, consisting of six volumes in three, for $3 (Ellen W. Randolph [Coolidge] to Martha Jefferson Randolph, 17 Feb.  and [ca. 26 Mar. 1816] [ViU: Coolidge Correspondence]). The chemical part of Joyce’s work that TJ had been attempting to acquire since at least 1809 was issued separately as Dialogues in Chemistry, intended for the Instruction and Entertainment of Young People, 2 vols. (London, 1807) (TJ to Milligan, 7 July 1809).
- Ainsworth, Robert; An Abridgement of Ainsworth’s Dictionary (ed. T. Morell) search
- An Abridgement of Ainsworth’s Dictionary (R. Ainsworth; ed. T. Morell) search
- books; dictionaries search
- books; on latitude and longitude search
- Coolidge, Ellen Wayles Randolph (TJ’s granddaughter); buys books search
- Delphin edition; TJ orders search
- Dialogues in Chemistry (J. Joyce) search
- Garnett, John; Nautical Almanac and Astronomical Ephemeris search
- Garnett, John; Tables Requisite to be used with the Nautical Ephemeris search
- Hutton, Charles; Mathematical Tables search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; orders books search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; prefers Delphin edition search
- Joyce, Jeremiah; Dialogues in Chemistry search
- Joyce, Jeremiah; Scientific Dialogues, intended for the Instruction and Entertainment of Young People search
- La Rue, Charles de; edits Virgil,Opera. Interpretatione et Notis (Delphin edition) search
- Latin language; dictionaries search
- Mair, John; The Tyro’s Dictionary, Latin and English search
- Mathematical Tables (C. Hutton) search
- Metamorphoses (Ovid); ordered by TJ search
- Milligan, Joseph; binds books for TJ search
- Milligan, Joseph; letters to search
- Milligan, Joseph; TJ orders books from search
- Morell, Thomas; editsAn Abridgement of Ainsworth’s Dictionary search
- National Intelligencer (Washington newspaper); advertisements in search
- Nepos, Cornelius; works of search
- Nepos, Cornelius; works of bound for TJ search
- Opera. Interpretatione et Notis (Virgil, Delphin edition; ed. C. de La Rue) search
- Ovid; Metamorphoses search
- Ovid; Pub. Ouidii Nasonis Metamorphoseon (ed. J. Pontanus) search
- Pontanus, Jakob; editsPub. Ouidii Nasonis Metamorphoseon (Ovid) search
- Pub. Ouidii Nasonis Metamorphoseon (Ovid; ed. J. Pontanus) search
- Richards, George; bookseller search
- Scientific Dialogues, intended for the Instruction and Entertainment of Young People (J. Joyce); TJ requests search
- Tables Requisite to be used with the Nautical Ephemeris (J. Garnett) search
- The Nautical Almanac and Astronomical Ephemeris (J. Garnett); TJ orders search
- The Tyro’s Dictionary, Latin and English (J. Mair) search
- Virgil; Opera. Interpretatione et Notis (Delphin edition; ed. C. de La Rue) search