To Henry Sheaff
Monticello Oct. 13. 15.
I took the liberty of writing to you on the 11th of August & of requesting you to send me a quarter cask of dry Sherry or dry Lisbon whichever you had most recommendable. being out of wine and not hearing from you, I trouble you with a repetition of the request, lest any accident should have happened to my letter or your answer. I mentioned that on noting to me the cost, it should be remitted within 90. days after shipment; but if this is out of your course of dealing it shall be remitted as soon as the cost is known. I desired it to be in a double cask,1 sent to Richmond by sea, addressed to Messrs Gibson and Jefferson, my correspondents [t]here, who would pay freight & charges and forward it to me. asking the favor of a speedy answer I repeat to you the assurances of my great respect and esteem
PoC (MHi); on verso of reused address cover to TJ; mutilated at seal; at foot of text: “Mr Henry Sheaff”; endorsed by TJ.
1. Reworked from “case.”
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); payments made for TJ search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; orders wine from H. Sheaff search
- Portugal; TJ orders wine from search
- Sheaff, Henry; and wine for TJ search
- Sheaff, Henry; letters to search
- sherry (wine) search
- wine; Portuguese search
- wine; sherry search
- wine; TJ orders from H. Sheaff search