To Archibald Robertson
Poplar Forest Sep. 29. 15
Being now within a day or two of my departure from this place, I inclose you a draught on Messrs Gibson & Jefferson to reimburse the advances of cash you have been so good as to make for me while here. they stand I believe as follows
|to||Richard Chilton for corn on mr Yancey application||100.||D|
|to||Dr William Steptoe on my ord of Sep. 22||35.||89|
|Wm Salmons sheriff Bedford: on order of same date||165.||62|
|Morgan & McDaniel, assees of May on my ord. of Sep. 24.||60.|
|Michael Adkinson on an order still to be given||25.||47|
to cover this I inclose an order as abovementioned for 387.D. should there be any error in my statement I shall be here again towards the end of the ensuing month and will correct it. be pleased to send me by the bearer 3000. nails of the length of the longest sample sent & 3000. of the shortest. wrought nails would be preferred, but cut ones will do.
P.S. be so good as to send also 1. ℔ tea.
PoC (MHi); adjacent to signature: “Mr Robertson”; endorsed by TJ. Enclosure not found.
The payment to William Salmon (salmons) for state taxes included $51.74 assessed on TJ’s personal property in Bedford County, following TJ’s Statement of Bedford and Campbell County Property Subject to State Tax, 11 Feb. 1815, but counting only five slaves between the ages of nine and twelve; and $80.03 assessed on TJ’s Bedford County landholdings, totaling 3,790 acres (Vi: RG 48, Personal Property Tax Returns and Land Tax Returns, both Bedford Co.). That to morgan & mcdaniel, assignees (assees) of John May, covered the purchase of a mare. TJ recorded giving Michael Atkinson (adkinson) an order on Robertson on this date as payment for sawing that Atkinson had finished the same day (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1314).
1. TJ wrote “386” in the left margin of this line to correct an addition error.
- Atkinson, Michael; and millwork for TJ search
- Bedford County, Va.; taxation on property in search
- Chilton, Richard; TJ pays for corn search
- corn; TJ buys search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); payments made for TJ search
- horses; TJ purchases search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; account with A. Robertson search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; pays taxes search
- May, John; sells horse to TJ search
- Morgan & McDaniel (Lynchburg firm); TJ pays search
- nails; purchased by TJ search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); taxes on search
- Robertson, Archibald; account with TJ search
- Robertson, Archibald; and nails for TJ search
- Robertson, Archibald; letters to search
- Robertson, Archibald; TJ pays search
- Salmon, William (of Bedford Co.); TJ pays taxes to search
- slaves; taxes on search
- Steptoe, William; account with TJ search
- taxes; TJ pays search
- tea; for Poplar Forest search
- Yancey, Joel (d.1833); buys corn for TJ search