To Hugh Williamson and Samuel L. Mitchill
Monticello Aug. 17. 15.
I recieved yesterday only your favor of July 15. informing me that the Literary and Philosophical society of New York had been pleased to elect me an honorary member of their body. permit me, through you, to retur[n] them my thanks for this mark of their favorable attention. age, distance, and a relaxation in literary & Philosophical pursuits will, I fear, render me an unprofitable member, but I shall avail myself with great pleasure of any occasion which may arise of being useful to them, and of proving the high respect and consideration with which I have the honor to be their and your
PoC (MoSHi: TJC-BC); one word faint; at foot of text: “Messrs Williamson & Mitchell”; endorsed by TJ.
- Literary and Philosophical Society of New-York; TJ elected a member of search
- Mitchill, Samuel Latham; and Literary and Philosophical Society of New-York search
- Mitchill, Samuel Latham; letters to search
- Williamson, Hugh; and Literary and Philosophical Society of New-York search
- Williamson, Hugh; letter to search