To Joseph Milligan
Monticello Aug. 17. 15.
I have just sent to Milton for the mail tumbrel a package addressed to the care of mr Gray, portage to Fredericksbg being first paid at Milton as it always will be. and you paying that from Fredericksbg to George town, we may save mr Gray1 the occasion of ever making any advances of money for what passes between us. the package contains 2. volumes which I wish to be divided the one into two, & the other into 3. vols, as you will see in the directions. I shall be glad to recieve them at my return from Bedford 6. weeks hence. mr Dufief has procured for me about 10. vols of books, ordered long since & not found till lately. I have desired him to send the package by the stage to Georgetown to your care to be forwarded thro’ mr Gray. the portage you will be so good as to place in account between us. Accept my respects & best wishes.
P.S. would it not be better for you to send me the translation of Tracy’s work before you begin to print it, that I may revise and correct it & return it to you?
Aug. 18. P.S. I find the transln in the bundle with the original.
RC (ViU: TJP); lacking 18 Aug. postscript. PoC (DLC); on verso of reused address cover to TJ; containing 18 Aug. postscript; adjacent to signature: “Mr Millegan”; endorsed by TJ. Recorded in SJL as a letter of 17 Aug. 1815 with a “P.S. 18.”
TJ’s package contained an English or American edition of the Tables Requisite to be used with the Nautical Ephemeris for finding the Latitude and Longitude at Sea (see note to TJ to Melatiah Nash, 15 Nov. 1811), and Charles Hutton, Mathematical Tables: containing Common, Hyperbolic, and Logistic Logarithms (London, 1785; Sowerby, description begins E. Millicent Sowerby, comp., Catalogue of the Library of Thomas Jefferson, 1952–59, 5 vols. description ends no. 3697; Poor, Jefferson’s Library description begins Nathaniel P. Poor, Catalogue. President Jefferson’s Library, 1829 description ends , 8 [no. 403]; see also TJ to Milligan, 5 Oct. 1815). The directions enclosed with the package have not been found.
1. Manuscript: “Grey.”
- A Treatise on Political Economy (Destutt de Tracy) search
- books; binding of for TJ search
- books; forwarded by W. F. Gray search
- books; on latitude and longitude search
- books; on mathematics search
- books; sent by N. G. Dufief search
- Destutt de Tracy, Antoine Louis Claude; A Treatise on Political Economy search
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; TJ orders books from search
- Garnett, John; Tables Requisite to be used with the Nautical Ephemeris search
- Gray, William Fairfax; and transmission of packages to and from TJ search
- Hutton, Charles; Mathematical Tables search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; orders books search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; account with J. Milligan search
- Maskelyne, Nevil; Tables requisite to be used with the Nautical Ephemeris for finding the Latitude and Longitude at Sea search
- Mathematical Tables (C. Hutton) search
- mathematics; books on search
- Milligan, Joseph; account with TJ search
- Milligan, Joseph; and Destutt de Tracy’s Treatise on Political Economy search
- Milligan, Joseph; and transmission of packages to and from TJ search
- Milligan, Joseph; binds books for TJ search
- Milligan, Joseph; letters to search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); TJ plans visit to search
- Tables Requisite to be used with the Nautical Ephemeris (J. Garnett) search
- Tables requisite to be used with the Nautical Ephemeris for finding Latitude and Longitude at Sea (N. Maskelyne) search