To Stephen Cathalan
Monticello Aug. 16. 15.
I wrote to you, my dear friend, on the 3d of July, requesting you to send me some wines, and that mr Girard of Philadelphia would place a sum of 200. Dollars at your disposal, in the hands of his correspondents at Paris,1 then unknown to me. I now inclose to you a copy of his letter to messrs Perrigaux, Lafitte and co. of that place, who will answer your draught of that amount. We have news from Paris down to the second abdication of Bonaparte. the sequel is too uncertain to be conjectured. I await therefore with the greatest anxiety to hear the fate of a country, for which I feel the deepest interest, and your own especially in a place which seems to have felt the first convulsion. god bless you and conduct you safely thro’ the dreadful storm.
PoC (DLC); on verso of reused address cover to TJ; at foot of text: “Mr Cathalan. to the care of Dr Henry Jackson”; endorsed by TJ. Enclosure: second enclosure to John Vaughan to TJ, 31 July 1815. Enclosed in TJ to John Graham, 17 Aug. 1815.
This letter was probably enclosed in a missing and otherwise undocumented letter to Jackson, which Jackson acknowledged on 9 Nov. 1815 as a “note covering the letter for Mr Cathalan.”
1. Preceding two words interlined in place of “there.”
- Cathalan, Stephen (Étienne) (1757–1819); account with TJ search
- Cathalan, Stephen (Étienne) (1757–1819); and wine for TJ search
- Cathalan, Stephen (Étienne) (1757–1819); letters to search
- France; TJ on search
- Girard, Stephen; and TJ’s lines of credit search
- Jackson, Henry (1778–1840); letter to accounted for search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; account with S. Cathalan search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; lines of credit in Europe search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; orders wine from S. Cathalan search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Opinions on; France search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Opinions on; Napoleon search
- Napoleon I, emperor of France; defeated at Battle of Waterloo search
- Napoleon I, emperor of France; TJ on search
- Perregaux, Laffitte & Compagnie (Paris firm); and TJ’s lines of credit in France search
- wine; TJ orders from S. Cathalan search