To Randolph Jefferson
Monticello June 23. 15
I lent you some years ago the harness of our family gigg, until you could get one made for your own. mrs Marks tells me your gigg is now demolished and out of use. mine has been used with one of our chariot harness. a neighbor asks the loan of it to go a journey, and if we let one of our set of harness go, we shall not be able to use the carriage until his return which will be very distant. under these circumstances I send the bearer to ask the return of the harness I lent you, in order to accomodate my neighbor.
present my respects to my sister and be assured of my best affections
PoC (ViU: TJP-CC); on verso of reused address cover to TJ; endorsed by TJ.
TJ lent the harness more than five years previously (Randolph Jefferson to TJ, 7 Dec. 1809; TJ to Jefferson, 8 Dec. 1809). A 6 June 1815 letter from TJ to his sister Anne Scott marks, not found, is recorded in SJL. This day TJ gave 25 cents for travel expenses to his slave Israel Gillette (Jefferson), the bearer (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1311). my sister: Mitchie B. Pryor Jefferson.
- Jefferson, Israel Gillette (TJ’s slave; b.1800); delivers message search
- Jefferson, Mitchie Ballow Pryor (TJ’s sister-in-law; Randolph Jefferson’s second wife); TJ sends greetings to search
- Jefferson, Randolph (TJ’s brother); and A. S. Marks search
- Jefferson, Randolph (TJ’s brother); letters to search
- Jefferson, Randolph (TJ’s brother); TJ loans gig harness to search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Family & Friends; relations with A. S. Marks search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Family & Friends; relations with R. Jefferson search
- Marks, Anne Scott Jefferson (TJ’s sister; Hastings Marks’s wife); letters to accounted for search
- Marks, Anne Scott Jefferson (TJ’s sister; Hastings Marks’s wife); mentioned search