From John Barnes
George Town 22d April 1815.
I am anxiously waiting to hear from the good Genl on his receiving the proceeds of the £400 sterg remitted him July last on Messr Baring Brothers & Co London—as well to renew a Remittance early in May for a like sum—I should prefer a Bill on London—in preferance to one on Paris even if the exchange should be on equal terms. the difference in Negotiation is made up—in point of security—being purchased here on the Spot—in Case of Accident for the Bills on Paris, are generally drawn by The French1 Merchts in Philada and N York, with whom We are quite Unacquainted
I hope, by the time you receive this—you will be eased of the extra-trouble and fatigue—you must have gone thro with in Arranging—packing, and safe delivering your very extensive and Valuable Library—
RC (ViU: TJP-ER); at foot of text: “Thomas Jefferson Esqr Monticello”; endorsed by TJ as received 3 May 1815 and so recorded in SJL.
The genl was Tadeusz Kosciuszko.
1. Manuscript: “Frence.”
- Baring Brothers & Company (London firm); and remittances to T. Kosciuszko search
- Barnes, John; account with T. Kosciuszko search
- Barnes, John; handles financial transactions search
- Barnes, John; letters from search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; debt to T. Kosciuszko search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; account with J. Barnes search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; and J. Barnes search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; remittances to search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; TJ’s debt to search
- London; exchange rate at search
- merchants; and bills of exchange search
- New York (city); French merchants in search
- New York (city); merchants in search
- Paris; exchange rate at search
- Philadelphia; French merchants in search
- Philadelphia; merchants in search