To John Watts
Monticello Mar. 25. 15.
I have the pleasure to inform you that I shall be able with certainty to pay off the two bonds of mine to Griffin in your hands, in the course of the spring, perhaps in April, but more probably in May. I mention this thus early that you may be enabled with confidence to make any arrangements which may suit you on that ground. I expect to be in Bedford in two or three weeks. I sincerely congratulate you on the peace which may once more enable us to count on the engagements we make or recieve. Accept the assurance of my great esteem and respect.
PoC (MHi); on verso of reused address cover of William Short to TJ, 11 Mar. 1815; at foot of text: “Colo Watts”; mistakenly endorsed by TJ as a letter to “Watts Wm” and so recorded in SJL.
- Griffin, Burgess; and TJ’s bond search
- Griffin, Burgess; TJ’s debt to search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; debt to B. Griffin search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; payments to J. Watts search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); TJ plans visit to search
- Watts, John; and settlement of TJ’s accounts search
- Watts, John; letters to search