From Benjamin Shackelford
Culpeper Co House March 16. 1815
Benj. Shackelford presents his sincere respects to Thomas Jefferson Esqr and acknowledges the receipt of his Letter enclosing one for Mr Wm P Newby which wou’d have been conveyed to him without delay had he been at Home, but being informed by his friends at this place that he was gone to the lower parts of this State & thought it most adviseable to hold the Letter untill he returned, but yesterday the enclosed letter was recieved from mr Newby requesting the letter to be forwarded1 to him which has been complyed with.
RC (MHi); dateline at foot of text; endorsed by TJ as received 31 Mar. 1815 and so recorded in SJL. Enclosure: William P. Newby to Shackelford, Lancaster County, 11 Mar. 1815, requesting that TJ’s letter to him [of 20 Jan.] be forwarded “by my Servant” and asking Shackelford to inform TJ that he would see him early in April on a matter “of considerable importance to me” (RC in MHi; addressed: “Capt Benjamin Shackleford Fairfax By Jacob”).
1. Manuscript: “forwared.”
- Jacob (W. P. Newby’s slave) search
- Newby, William P.; letter to B. Shackelford search
- Newby, William P.; plans visit to Monticello search
- Newby, William P.; slave of search
- Shackelford, Benjamin; correspondence with W. P. Newby search
- Shackelford, Benjamin; forwards correspondence for TJ search
- Shackelford, Benjamin; letters from search