From Alexander J. Dallas
Treasury Department 21. February 1815.
I have the honor to inform you, that, under the authority of an Act of Congress, I am ready to issue Treasury Notes, for the Sum of Twenty three thousand, nine hundred, and fifty dollars, in your favor: on account of the purchase of your Library, for the use of the Government. Be so good as to state, to whom the Notes shall be made payable, at what place, and of what denominations, the issues being for 1000, 100, and 20 Dollars.
A. J. Dallas
RC (DLC); endorsed by TJ as received 1 Mar. 1815 and so recorded in SJL. RC (DLC); address cover only; with PoC of TJ to William W. Hening, 11 Mar. 1815, on verso; addressed: “Thomas Jefferson Esq. Monticello Virginia”; franked and postmarked.
- An Act to authorize the purchase of the library of Thomas Jefferson (1815) search
- Dallas, Alexander James; and purchase of TJ’s library search
- Dallas, Alexander James; letters from search
- Library of Congress; payment for TJ’s library search
- Library of Congress; TJ sells personal library to search
- Treasury Department, U.S.; treasury notes search