From James Cutbush
Philada Jany 28th 1815.
At the time I wrote you from Norfolk, I was taken with the disease so common at that place and Neighborhood; and after recovery, I proceeded to Washington, and was transferred to this district.
I received, however, your letter in reply to mine, on the subject of Mr Halls improvement, as it is termed, in Agriculture; but not recollecting the particulars, of the certificate I mentioned to you in my letter, I am unable to satisfy your enquiries. Since I arrived here, I find that Mr H. changed his tack, and never Came on; but Dr Mease tells me that he, Mr H. has published a pamphlet on his improvement which I have not seen, a copy however he sent the Doctor. Mr H. then must be in Virginia.—
An American edition of Gregory’s Cyclopedia has just made its appearance. I. Peirce, publisher, Philada. The work I have seen; it is altogether, or at least for the major part, a work of science;—with many plates. It appears in numbers, and when finished will comprehend but two folia volumes.—
RC (DLC); endorsed by TJ as received 14 Feb. 1815 and so recorded in SJL. RC (DLC: TJ Papers, 203:36168); address cover only; with Dft of TJ’s Observations on the Transportation of the Monticello Library, [ca. 27 Feb. 1815], on verso; addressed: “Thomas Jefferson Esquire. Monticello, Virginia”; franked; postmarked Philadelphia, 30 Jan.
- agriculture; improved method of planting search
- books; dictionaries search
- Cutbush, James; and G. Gregory’s Dictionary of Arts and Sciences search
- Cutbush, James; and J. Hall’s agricultural improvements search
- Cutbush, James; domestic life of search
- Cutbush, James; health of search
- Cutbush, James; letters from search
- Dictionary of Arts and Sciences (G. Gregory) search
- Gregory, George; Dictionary of Arts and Sciences search
- Hall, James; improved planting technique of search
- Mease, James; and J. Hall’s agricultural improvements search
- Peirce, Isaac; Philadelphia publisher search
- Philadelphia; printers in search