To Samuel Thurber
Monticello Jan. 2. 15.
Your favor of Dec. 19. was recieved on the 30th of that month only. it could not have been addressed to one less capable of answering your enquiries. I live very far from the sea-coast, up among the mountains. I have no doubt that Richmond is the best place within this state for the establishment of a cotton manufactory. Washington & Alexandria might compete with it in some important circumstances; but the very superior advantages of Richmond in the command of water and abundance of fuel, might give it a preference. but altho I once lived there and knew nearly every body in it, yet I have been there but twice or thric[e]1 within the last 30. years, and think there is not a single person living there now who was an inhabitant when I was. I cannot therefore address you to any one. nor do I think you ought to adventure on a removal but after your own personal examination. should you come there, you could not consult2 with a person of better information than mr Ritchie, editor of the Enquirer, who, on your presenting him this letter, would kindly consider it as a request from me3 to put you into good hands for4 satisfying the enquiries interesting to you. Accept my best wishes for your success & the assurances of my respect
PoC (MoSHi: TJC-BC); on verso of reused address cover from Samuel H. Smith to TJ; edge cut off; at foot of text: “Mr Samuel Thurber”; endorsed by TJ.
1. Preceding two words interlined.
2. Reworked from “I do not think you could consult.”
3. Preceding two words interlined.
4. TJ here canceled “making.”
- Alexandria, Va.; as site for cotton manufactory search
- cotton; manufactures from search
- cotton; spinning of search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Opinions on; best location for cotton manufactory search
- manufacturing, household; cotton search
- Richmond, Va.; as site for cotton manufactory search
- Richmond, Va.; TJ visits search
- Richmond Enquirer (newspaper); T. Ritchie as editor of search
- Ritchie, Thomas; as editor of Richmond Enquirer search
- Thurber, Samuel; and relocation of cotton manufactory search
- Thurber, Samuel; letter to search
- Washington, D.C.; as site for cotton manufactory search