To Patrick Gibson
Monticello. Dec. 23. 14.
Since mine of Nov. 21. I have recieved yours of Nov. 23. Dec. 7. & 14. in that of1 Nov. 23. came the 45.D. small bills, and in the last a notice of mr Harvie’s payment. I regret much my tobacco is not at market, and am pressing my manager to hurry it. we are but just now beginning to grind our wheat, which will go down as fast as it is ground. I think the remaining2 fibre of difference between the negociators at Ghent is so slender, & that too on the principle of uti possidetis which the English will find to be against them, that peace cannot fail to follow.
if you have obtained a judgment against Philpot, there should be no hesitation at issuing an execution against his body. we have nothing to do with hunting out his fraudulent concealments of property. when committed to jail he must either lie there, swear out, or pay the money. be so good then as to take this step immediately. I did not know the paiment was still deferred. I must ask the favor of you to inclose 130.D. to Jeremiah A. Goodman at Poplar Forest near Lynchburg by the first mail to that place. Accept the assurance of my great esteem & respect
PoC (Sheldon Vanauken, Lynchburg, 1958, on deposit ViU: TJP); on verso of reused address cover to TJ; torn at seal, with missing word recopied by TJ above the line; at foot of text: “Mr Gibson”; endorsed by TJ.
1. TJ here canceled “the 7th.”
2. Word interlined.
- currency; sent to TJ search
- flour; transported to Richmond search
- Ghent; peace negotiations at search
- Gibson, Patrick; and currency for TJ search
- Gibson, Patrick; and payments to TJ search
- Gibson, Patrick; and TJ’s flour search
- Gibson, Patrick; and TJ’s tobacco search
- Gibson, Patrick; letters to search
- Gibson, Patrick; payments made for TJ search
- Goodman, Jeremiah Augustus; as Poplar Forest overseer search
- Goodman, Jeremiah Augustus; TJ pays search
- Great Britain; peace with search
- Harvie, John (1783–1838); debt to TJ search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; payments by J. Harvie search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Opinions on; peace with Great Britain search
- Monticello (TJ’s estate); flour from search
- Philpotts, Oakley; and unpaid tobacco bill search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); tobacco grown at search
- Richmond, Va.; flour shipped to search
- tobacco; grown at Poplar Forest search
- tobacco; sale of search
- War of1812; and peace negotiations search
- wheat; ground for TJ search