To Louis H. Girardin
Monticello Dec. 21. 14.
Th: Jefferson to mr Girardin.
I thank you for the gazettes, review, & Cootes’s history, all of which I have read, except the last, which I have sufficiently examined to see that it is valuable as a repertory only, without any particular merit. on your mention of Mellish’s opinion of the tenets which distinguish the two political parties of this country, I recollected I had written him a letter on the subject of that opinion, and was searching for it to shew it to you when you took your leave. I now send it for your perusal. you will percieve that I analyse the federalists into 3. sections. 1. the Essex junto who are Anglomen, Monarchists, & Separatists. 2. the Hamiltonians, who are Anglomen & Monarchists, but not Separatists. 3. the common mass of federalists who are Anglomen, but neither Monarchists nor Seperatists. the return of this letter with that to mr Adams when perused to satisfaction is requested. I salute you with esteem & respect.
RC (PPAmP: Thomas Jefferson Papers); dateline at foot of text. Enclosure: TJ to John Melish, 13 Jan. 1813.
cootes’s history: Charles Coote, The History of Modern Europe; and a view of the Progress of Society, from the Peace of Paris, in 1763, to the Treaty of Amiens, in 1802. being a Continuation of Dr. Russell’s History (Philadelphia, 1811).
SJL records missing letters from Girardin to TJ of 20 and 21 Dec. 1814, both received from Glenmore on the latter date, and from TJ to Girardin of 25 Dec. 1814.
- Adams, John; and correspondence with TJ search
- books; on history search
- Coote, Charles; The History of Modern Europe search
- Essex Junto search
- Federalist party; J. Melish on search
- Federalist party; TJ on search
- Girardin, Louis Hue; and American politics search
- Girardin, Louis Hue; letters from accounted for search
- Girardin, Louis Hue; letters to search
- Girardin, Louis Hue; letters to accounted for search
- Hamilton, Alexander (1757–1804); supporters of search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Opinions on; Federalist party search
- Melish, John; on American politics search
- politics; J. Melish’s opinion on search
- Republican party; J. Melish on search
- The History of Modern Europe (C. Coote) search