From John Adams
Quincy December 20. 1814
The most exalted of our young Genius’s in Boston have an Ambition to See Montecello, its Library and its Sage. I lately gave a Line of Introduction to Mr Everett, our most celebrated Youth: But his Calls at home, forced him back from Washington.
George Ticknor Esquire who will have the Honour to present this to you, has a reputation here, equal to the Character given him in the enclosed Letter from my Nephew, our Athenæum Man, whom you know.
As you are all Heluones Librorum I think you ought to have a Sympathy for each other.
The Gentleman you recommended to me, to my great regret has not arrived. I hope no Misfortune has befallen him.
Paine, Lovell and Gerry are gone and left alone
RC (DLC); at foot of text: “President Jefferson”; endorsed by TJ as received 4 Feb. 1815 via “mr Ticknor” and so recorded in SJL. RC (DLC); address cover only; in same hand as FC; with PoC of TJ to Charles W. Goldsborough, 9 Feb. 1815, on verso; addressed: “His Excellency Thomas Jefferson. Monticello. Virginia. Favor’d by George Ticknor Esquire.” FC (Lb in MHi: Adams Papers). Enclosure: William S. Shaw to Adams, Boston, 19 Dec. 1814, apologizing for his inability to introduce Ticknor in person; indicating that he is the son of Elisha Ticknor; describing him as an industrious, studious, well-educated lawyer; commending him for his mastery of Greek, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, and French; explaining that, prior to pursuing his studies in Europe, he desires to visit various parts of the United States, including “Monticello and the great philosopher there and the great library &c”; and asking Adams to write a letter introducing Ticknor to TJ (RC in DLC; addressed: “The Hon John Adams Esqr. Quincy Favored by George Tickenor Esqr.”).
1. FC: “deliver.”
- Adams, John; introduces E. Everett search
- Adams, John; introduces F. C. Gray search
- Adams, John; introduces G. Ticknor search
- Adams, John; letters from search
- Adams, John; on deaths of Revolutionary colleagues search
- Adams, John; TJ introduces W. C. Rives to search
- Everett, Edward; introduced to TJ search
- Everett, Edward; proposed visit to TJ of search
- Gerry, Elbridge (1744–1814); death of search
- Gray, Francis Calley; introduced to TJ search
- Gray, William; J. Adams on search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Correspondence; letters of introduction from search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Correspondence; letters of introduction to search
- Lovell, James; death of search
- Paine, Robert Treat (1731–1814); J. Adams on search
- Rives, William Cabell; introduced by TJ search
- Rives, William Cabell; proposed visit of to J. Adams search
- Shaw, William Smith; introduces G. Ticknor search
- Ticknor, Elisha; mentioned search
- Ticknor, George; introduced to TJ search
- Ticknor, George; travels of search