From John Barnes
[Geor]ge Town 18th Decr 1814—
My last Respects, was of the 6th Inst since when—your Scrip Certificate for $10.000—has been left with Mr Nourse to be Consolidated in the Amot of $12,500—6 Ct stock, at the Rate—of 80$ advance for $100 stock—in your Name—of course, it will require your Genl Power of Atty to receive the Int. due the 1h Jany—as well every succeeding Quarterly—payment,
RC (ViU: TJP-ER); torn at seal; at foot of text: “Thomas Jefferson Esqr Monticello Virga”; endorsed by TJ as received 27 Dec. 1814 and so recorded in SJL.
Joseph nourse served for decades as register of the United States Treasury (JEP description begins Journal of the Executive Proceedings of the Senate of the United States description ends , 1:26, 4:56 [12 Sept. 1789, 10 Feb. 1830]). Tadeusz Kosciuszko’s consolidated six-percent government stock had been entered in the Treasury ledger on the preceding day, 17 Dec. 1814 (DNA: RG 53, CTSLO, Central Treasury Records Ledger, 65:65).
- Barnes, John; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Barnes, John; letters from search
- Barnes, John; TJ’s power of attorney to search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; and investment in U.S. government loan search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; and J. Barnes search
- Nourse, Joseph; as register of U.S. Treasury search
- Treasury Department, U.S.; and government stock search