To Archibald Robertson
Poplar forest Nov. 11.1 14.
The sheriff of Bedford called on me yesterday for the first time to inform me of the amount of my taxes, and that he must recieve them at the ensuing Bedford court. being to leave this place the day after tomorrow I am obliged to ask your assistance to draw from Richmond the amount of the inclosed draught on Gibson & Jefferson which may be recieved by mail before Bedford court, where I promised the sheriff, mr Claytor, he would recieve it through the hands of mr Garland. I will thank you to forward to me to Monticello by mail, the sequel of my account from the date to which it was furnished last. desperate as the times are for paying money from the ordinary means, I have a prospect of another resource, altho’ not yet absolutely certain of doing something in this case. Accept the assurance of my esteem and respect
PoC (ViU: TJP); at foot of text: “Mr Archibald Robertson”; endorsed by TJ.
The inclosed draught, not found, was “for 129.23 in favr. of Arch. Robertson to be pd. to Clayton Sheriff of Bedford for my taxes in Bedford & Campbell this year” (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1304). The current sheriff of Bedford County was Isaac Otey, not his predecessor, John claytor (Bedford Co. Deed Book, 14:2, 191–2).
1. Reworked from “12.”
- Bedford County, Va.; taxation on property in search
- Bedford County Court, Va. search
- Campbell County, Va.; taxation on property in search
- Claytor, John; as Bedford Co. sheriff search
- Garland, Mr.; employee of Brown & Robertson search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); payments made for TJ search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; account with A. Robertson search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; pays taxes search
- Otey, Isaac; as sheriff of Bedford Co. search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); taxes on search
- Robertson, Archibald; account with TJ search
- Robertson, Archibald; and TJ’s taxes search
- Robertson, Archibald; letters to search
- taxes; TJ pays search
- Virginia; wartime taxation in search