To Patrick Gibson
Monticello Oct. 25. 14.
Your’s of Sep. 30. has been recieved, informing me of the enlargement of my note in the bank. three days before that date I had drawn on you in favor of Clifton Harris sheriff of Albemarle for 230.32 D the amount of my taxes Etc in this county, and on the 11th inst. I drew in favor of the same person for 150.D. for so much cash recieved here in exchange. Genl Cocke will also present you a draught for 167.D. of the 23d inst. I have been expecting the Sheriff of Bedford would have notified to me the amount of my taxes in that county, but I have not heard from him. I shall set out in a few days for that county and shall probably have to draw from thence for his demand & perhaps others. we are grinding our wheat altho’ under a poor prospect as to price. Accept the assurance of my great esteem & respect.
PoC (NHi: Thomas Jefferson Papers); on verso of reused address cover of Joseph Delaplaine to TJ, 3 Oct. 1814; at foot of text: “Mr Gibson”; endorsed by TJ.
Clifton Harris was deputy sheriff rather than sheriff of albemarle County.
- Bank of Virginia (Richmond); TJ’s loan from search
- Bremo (TJ’s horse); purchased from J. H. Cocke search
- Cocke, John Hartwell; TJ purchases horse from search
- flour; price of search
- Gibson, Patrick; and TJ’s bank note from Bank of Virginia search
- Gibson, Patrick; and TJ’s flour search
- Gibson, Patrick; letters to search
- Gibson, Patrick; payments made for TJ search
- Harris, Clifton; and TJ’s taxes search
- Harris, Clifton; loans money to TJ search
- horses; TJ purchases search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; loan from Bank of Virginia search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; pays taxes search
- Monticello (TJ’s estate); flour from search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); taxes on search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); TJ plans visit to search
- taxes; TJ pays search
- wheat; ground for TJ search