From Samuel H. Smith
Washington1 Oct. 19. 1814
I have the pleasure to inform You that the H. of R. this day concurred by a great majority in the resolution of the Senate authorising the Library Come to contract for the purchase of Your Library, after so amending it as to reserve to Congress the definitive ratification of the contract. That they will2 ratify the agreement that shall be made by the Come there can be no doubt. As I calculate upon the prompt attention of the Come to the conclusion of the business, I submit to you the propriety of communicating without delay any further suggestions wch You may wish to make as to the terms and mode of disposition.
Sa H Smith
RC (DLC); endorsed by TJ as received 26 Oct. 1814 and so recorded in SJL.
1. Manuscript: “Washigton.”
2. Word interlined.
3. Manuscript: “invariabl.”
- House of Representatives, U.S.; and purchase of TJ’s library search
- Library of Congress; and library committees of Congress search
- Library of Congress; resolution authorizing contracting for TJ’s library search
- Library of Congress; TJ sells personal library to search
- Senate, U.S.; and purchase of TJ’s library search
- Smith, Samuel Harrison; and sale of TJ’s library to Congress search
- Smith, Samuel Harrison; letters from search