Notes on the Likeness of Christopher Columbus
Note by Th:J.
The 1st vol. of Debry was printed in 1590. & the 2d to which the preface is here given, was printed in 1595. it was between these two dates then that the copy [exemplar] of the portrait which had been taken by order of the king & Queen, and of which his son made the miniature here exhibited, was given by his friend who recieved it from the painter himself [i.e. the copyist.] and the copy must have been taken between 1492. and 1590. i.e. in the 16th century. it was probably then a different copy from that in possession of the D. of Berwick, supposed to have been taken in the 17th century, altho’ it might be from the same original.
MS (LNT: George H. and Katherine M. Davis Collection); entirely in TJ’s hand; undated; subjoined to preceding enclosure; brackets in original.
- Americae Pars Quinta, part five of The Great or American Voyages, Parts I to XI, in Latin (T. de Bry) search
- Berwick, Duke of; and portrait of C. Columbus search
- Bry, Theodor de; Americae Pars Quinta, part five of The Great or American Voyages, Parts I to XI, in Latin search
- Bry, Theodor de; TJ on search
- Columbus, Ferdinand; son of C. Columbus search
- Ferdinand II, king of Aragon and Castile; and C. Columbus search
- Isabella I, queen of Aragon and Castile; and C. Columbus search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Writings; Notes on the Likeness of Christopher Columbus search