To Patrick Gibson
Monticello Aug. 16. 14.
In my letter of yesterday by mr Johnson, I mentioned that I would write to you more specially on the subject of the remittance to Philadelphia; I find that my different accounts there for books and newspapers amount nearly to 150.D. which sum I will therefore ask the favor of you to remit to mr Nicholas G. Dufief bookseller Philadelphia, on my account. I write to him now as to the disposal of it. I inclose the note for the bank as mentioned in my letter of yesterday. the box of books spoken of in a former letter came to hand yesterday. Accept assurances of esteem & respect.
PoC (Joseph Bransten, San Francisco, 1950); at foot of text: “Mr Gibson”; endorsed by TJ. Enclosure not found.
The box of books contained thirteen copies of Biddle, Lewis and Clark Expedition description begins Nicholas Biddle, History of the Expedition under the command of Captains Lewis and Clark to the Sources of the Missouri, thence across the Rocky Mountains and down the River Columbia to the Pacific Ocean. Performed during the years 1804–5–6. By order of the Government of the United States, 2 vols., Philadelphia, 1814; Sowerby, no. 4168; Poor, Jefferson’s Library, 7 (no. 370) description ends , sent by Bradford & Inskeep early in April 1814.
- Bank of Virginia (Richmond); TJ’s loan from search
- Biddle, Nicholas; History of the Expedition under the command of Captains Lewis and Clark search
- Bradford & Inskeep (Philadelphia firm); and history of Lewis and Clark Expedition search
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; TJ pays search
- Gibson, Patrick; and TJ’s bank note search
- Gibson, Patrick; letters to search
- Gibson, Patrick; payments made for TJ search
- History of the Expedition under the command of Captains Lewis and Clark (N. Biddle) search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; loan from Bank of Virginia search
- Johnson, William (waterman); transports goods from Richmond search
- Lewis and Clark Expedition; publication of journals search