From Peter Carr
Carr’s-brook. Aug. 14th 14
The committee of which J. Nicholas speaks in his note, was appointed for the purpose, of viewing the different situations in, and about Charlottes-ville, and reporting their opinion, to the next meeting of the board; this, by our constitution will take place on friday next. I was not of that committee. As well as I recollect, John Winn, Jas Leitch, J. Nicholas, Dr Carr & Alexr Garrett, were the persons who formed it. If they were all present, we should be quite safe—I rather believe, we shall as it is but still I would rather not risque it. I suppose the meeting tomorrow, has been called by the chair-man, in order to consult, compare &c, before the stated meeting of the board. When that time comes, we must endeavour so to arrange matters, as to postpone the important question of location, ’till we can be pretty certain of a favorable issue.
I will endeavour to see you at Monticello, before friday. Not being of the committee, I shall not attend at Charlottesville tomorrow. I return you the paper asked for by J. Nicholas, in order that you may give it the direction you think best. With great and sincere esteem Yrs most
RC (ViU: TJP-CC); endorsed by TJ as received 14 Aug. 1814 and so recorded in SJL.
The note from John Nicholas has not been found. It probably accompanied Nicholas to TJ, 12 Aug. 1814. Missing letters from alexr garrett to TJ of 20, 21 Aug., and 20 Sept. 1814, not found, are recorded in SJL as received from Charlottesville on 20, 22 Aug., and 21 Sept. 1814, respectively. The enclosed paper requested by Nicholas is also missing.
- Albemarle Academy; Board of Trustees, members of search
- Albemarle Academy; location of search
- Carr, Frank; and Albemarle Academy search
- Carr, Peter (TJ’s nephew); and Albemarle Academy search
- Carr, Peter (TJ’s nephew); letters from search
- Carr, Peter (TJ’s nephew); visits Monticello search
- Garrett, Alexander; and Albemarle Academy search
- Garrett, Alexander; letters from accounted for search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Public Service; as Albemarle Academy trustee search
- Leitch, James; and Albemarle Academy search
- Monticello (TJ’s estate); Visitors to; Carr, Peter search
- Nicholas, John; and Albemarle Academy search
- Winn, John; and Albemarle Academy search