To Louis H. Girardin
Monticello July 2. 14.
Before I went to Bedford I asked the favor of you to let me know the amount of my debt to you for the books you were so kind as to let me have, which was referred however until my return. on my return I found you had left the neighborhood; but the hope that some remnant of business might give us the pleasure of seeing you soon, occasioned me to wait a while. but finding that gratification delayed, I trouble you with the same request, and on recieving information of the amount, I will inclose you an order for it on Richmond. to this I will add the year’s subscription for the Compiler, of which I learn from that paper that you are become the editor. I sincerely wish it may be profitable, as I am sure that in your hands it will have the merit of correctness of fact and moderation & decency of discussion united with sound principles. I fear more for your health than for success in your new situation. Accept my sincere prayers for both.
RC (PPAmP: Thomas Jefferson Papers); addressed: “Mr L. H. Girardin Richmond”; franked; postmarked Milton, 16 July. Not recorded in SJL.
After serving as an editor, Girardin joined William C. Shields from 1815–16 as a publisher of the Daily Compiler and Richmond Commercial Register (Brigham, American Newspapers description begins Clarence S. Brigham, History and Bibliography of American Newspapers, 1690–1820, 1947, 2 vols. description ends , 2:1137).
- Daily Compiler and Richmond Commercial Register (Richmond newspaper); L. H. Girardin as editor and publisher of search
- Daily Compiler and Richmond Commercial Register (Richmond newspaper); W. C. Shields as publisher of search
- Girardin, Louis Hue; edits Daily Compiler and Richmond Commercial Register search
- Girardin, Louis Hue; letters to search
- Girardin, Louis Hue; TJ’s account with search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; and newspaper subscriptions search
- newspapers; Daily Compiler and Richmond Commercial Register search
- newspapers; subscriptions to, by TJ search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); TJ visits search
- Shields, William C.; publisher of Daily Compiler and Richmond Commercial Register search