To Christopher Clark
Poplar Forest June 21. 14.
The road which now leads thro’ the middle of my land from Abner Callaway’s to Johnson’s, a distance of 3 miles–32 po., and the branch of it leading from the Double branches of Bear creek up into the other 162 po.–15 links in all 3 mi.–192 po. will occasion me upwards of 7. miles of fencing, when we shall have cleared up to it on both sides, as the quality of the land on both sides the whole way1 will call for. by turning it from the Double branches down the creek about 1⅛ mile & then off to Johnson’s, it will go just within my line the whole way, except about ⅜ of a mile after it quits the creek that it will pass on mr Radford’s side of our line, but still near it, his agreement to which was provided for when I conveyed him the lands. this will be 3 poles 19. links further for the people coming from the mountains, and the hill from the creek up into the present2 road more gradual. for those who come from New London & that quarter by Abner Callaway’s, it will be about 47. poles, say 250. yds further than the present road. I have been engaged the last winter in making the new road, keeping it on firm ground the whole way, and expected now to have asked your aid in obtaining the change from the Court. but I find that my people were not able to compleat it the last winter; for indeed it is a heavy job, and of course we must take another winter for it. the object of this letter therefore at present is to engage your assistance the next spring when it will be compleated and the objection will be removed which might have arisen from the burthen of making it. I avail myself with pleasure of this occasion of assuring you of my great esteem and respect
PoC (MHi); at foot of text: “Christopher Clarke esq.”; endorsed by TJ.
For TJ’s agreement with William Radford, see Conveyance of Bear Branch Land to William Radford and Joel Yancey, 7 Dec. 1811.
1. Preceding three words interlined.
2. Word added in margin.
- Bear Creek plantation (part of TJ’s Poplar Forest estate); roads through search
- Callaway, Abner Early; Bedford Co. land of search
- Clark, Christopher Henderson; letters to search
- Clark, Christopher Henderson; TJ seeks legal assistance from search
- Johnson, Benjamin; lands of search
- New London, Va.; road from search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); roads search
- Radford, William; and Bear Branch land search
- roads; at Poplar Forest search