From Joseph Delaplaine
Philadelphia April 19th 1814
I took the liberty a few days ago of writing to you on the subject of two pictures which Doctor Barton informed me are in your possession, and at the same time requested the favour of you to forward them to me for the purpose of having engravings taken from them for my national biographical work; I mean the portraits of Columbus & Americus Vespusius. In my letter I enclosed one of the portraits (that of Dr Rush) to enable you to see a specimen of the engravings, for a work, which, if I receive the countenance of the American people, I intend shall far surpass any thing of the kind that has been executed in England.
I have already received letters from nearly all the eminent men of America who have unanimously agreed that I shall be furnished with their portraits, and at the same time expressed their approbation of the plan.
I omitted in my letter to request the favour of you to take the trouble of informing me whether you have any other portraits in your possession which you may conceive suitable subjects for my work beside those of Columbus & Vespusius.
Your portrait I shall have the pleasure of putting into the hands of the engraver as soon as I ascertain whether the information is correct that One of the portraits of you painted by Stuart is in Mr Madison’s house. Be pleased to inform me whether this is the fact or not.
I take the liberty of enclosing a corrected proposal of the work.
RC (DLC); at foot of text: “His Excellency Thomas Jefferson”; endorsed by TJ as received 30 Apr. 1814 and so recorded in SJL.
- Barton, Benjamin Smith; and J. Delaplaine’s Repository search
- biography; proposed national search
- books; biographical search
- Columbus, Christopher; and portrait for J. Delaplaine’s Repository search
- Delaplaine, Joseph; and portraits of TJ by G. Stuart search
- Delaplaine, Joseph; Delaplaine’s Repository search
- Delaplaine, Joseph; letters from search
- Delaplaine, Joseph; proposal for printing Delaplaine’s Repository search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Portraits; G. Stuart’s paintings search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Portraits; TJ’s collection of search
- Madison, James; and portrait of TJ by G. Stuart search
- Montpellier (Montpelier; J. Madison’s Orange Co. estate); G. Stuart’s portrait of TJ at search
- Repository of the Lives and Portraits of Distinguished Americans (J. Delaplaine) search
- Rush, Benjamin; portraits of search
- Stuart, Gilbert; portraits of TJ by search
- Vespucci, Amerigo (Americus Vespucius); portrait of search