From William Wardlaw
Richmond 13th1 April 1814
I have at length seen Mr Henning and have mentioned to him your request to me of last month. Mr H. informs me that he has the Vol of the laws of Virginia that you mention, but that in the sessions acts of 1748 several pages are missing among which is the act that I am so anxious to find
I find in the 4th Vol of “The Statutes at large,” which is about to appear, that the titles of the private acts in many cases are only given. This will not meet the intention of the Legislature or be of service to men versed in the laws of the State
RC (DLC); endorsed by TJ as a letter of 12 Apr. received 19 Apr. 1814.
The 4th vol of Hening was not in fact published until 1820.
1. Reworked from “12th.”
- books; on law search
- Hening, William Waller; and TJ’s collection of Va. laws search
- Hening, William Waller; The Statutes at Large search
- law; books on search
- The Statutes at Large (W. W. Hening); publication of search
- Virginia; laws of search
- Virginia; TJ’s collection of laws of search
- Wardlaw, William; and Va. laws search
- Wardlaw, William; letters from search