From James J. Pleasants (for Samuel Pleasants)
Richmond March 26th 1814
Agreeably to your request I have sent by the stage, such of the articles ordered in your letter of 20th inst as could be procured. The sessions acts of 1809, are not to be had in this place
|By J. J. Pleasants|
|Thos Jefferson Esqr|
|Bot of S. Pleasants|
|11 Sessions acts 1812||$ 1.||00|
|12 Copies Miss Lomax’s poems @ 50 cts||6.||00|
|1 Copy “The2 Book”||1.||12½|
|1 Hopkins Razor Strop||2.||50|
ps. Sessions acts of 1813 not yet done. so soon as they are a Copy shall be sent
RC (MHi); in James J. Pleasants’s hand; endorsed by TJ as a letter from Samuel Pleasants received 2 Apr. 1814 and so recorded in SJL.
James Jay Pleasants (1797–1849) was a native of Hanover County. He worked in the Richmond printing- and bookshop of his uncle Samuel Pleasants before moving to Alabama, where he served as secretary of state, 1821–24. Pleasants was later a member of the New Orleans cotton firm of Martin, Pleasants & Company. He died in Huntsville, Alabama (Thomas McAdory Owen, History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography , 4:1372; Norma Carter Miller and George Lane Miller, Pleasants and Allied Families: an historical genealogy of the descendants of John Pleasants (1644/5–1698) of Henrico County, Virginia , 227, 229, 231; Richmond Enquirer, 13 Nov. 1821, 24 Sept. 1824; Huntsville Democrat, 22, 29 Aug. 1849).
A letter of 20 July 1814 from Samuel Pleasants to TJ, not found, is recorded in SJL as received 22 July 1814 from Richmond.
1. Reworked from “2.”
2. Omitted opening quotation mark editorially supplied.
- A Collection of all such Acts of the General Assembly of Virginia, of a public and permanent nature, as are now in force (S. Pleasants) search
- household articles; razor strops search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; works sent to search
- Lomax, Judith; The Notes of an American Lyre search
- Notes of an American Lyre (J. Lomax) search
- Perceval, Spencer; “The Book!” or, The Proceedings and Correspondence upon the subject of the Inquiry into the Conduct of Her Royal Highness The Princess of Wales (included in Book of Kings compiled by TJ;see also Book of Kings) search
- Pleasants, James Jay; as proxy for S. Pleasants search
- Pleasants, James Jay; identified search
- Pleasants, Samuel; A Collection of all such Acts of the General Assembly of Virginia, of a public and permanent nature, as are now in force search
- Pleasants, Samuel; and books for TJ search
- Pleasants, Samuel; letters from search
- Pleasants, Samuel; letters from accounted for search
- Virginia; laws of search
- “The Book!” or, The Proceedings and Correspondence upon the subject of the Inquiry into the Conduct of Her Royal Highness The Princess of Wales (S. Perceval; included in Book of Kings compiled by TJ) search