To James Madison
Monticello Feb. 17. 14.
In my letter of yesterday I forgot to put the inclosed one from mr Mills,1 which I now send merely to inform you of his wishes, and to do on it what you find right. he is an excellent young man, modest, cautious & very manageable. his skill in architecture will be proved by his drawings & he has had a good deal of experience. he married a daughter of Colo Smith of Winchester formerly (perhaps now) a member of Congress.
RC (University Archives, Stamford, Conn., 1997); addressed: “James Madison President of the US. Washington”; franked; postmarked Milton, 19 Feb. 1814. PoC (MHi); endorsed by TJ. Enclosure: Robert Mills to TJ, 28 Jan. 1814.
1. Manuscript: “Mill.”
- Jefferson, Thomas; Correspondence; letters of application and recommendation from search
- Madison, James; letters of recommendation to search
- Madison, James; letters to search
- Mills, Eliza Barnwell Smith (Robert Mills’s wife) search
- Mills, Robert; TJ recommends search
- patronage; letters of application and recommendation from TJ search
- Smith, John (1750–1836); family of search