From John Barnes
George Town Colo 9th Febuary 1814—
Your favr of the 29h Ulto receved last Evening—and duly Notice its Contents, with referance to the good Genl K—every exersion has been made by me to effect a remittanc—thro Mr Williams and others, but without effect,—the late Occurances in Europe as well here, has but increased the difficulty—
and to Attempt One at this Crisis—would be to hazard a still greater risque—what then I ask can possibly be done, in aid of the Genl but to wait—a more convenient season—let us hope! and trust ere long some favorable change of Circumstancs may Offer to effect so desirable a purpose—
With referance to your further request respecting my Opinion on the propriety of disposing of the Genl Penna Bank stock and placing the proceeds on Loan to Govermt I must beg a day or two, for serious Consideration and reflection—on so Momentous1—a question— most Respectfully, Dear Sir
RC (ViU: TJP-ER); at foot of text: “Thos Jefferson Esqr Monticello”; endorsed by TJ as received 18 Feb. 1814 and so recorded in SJL.
genl k: Tadeusz Kosciuszko.
1. Manuscript: “Momentoues.”
- Bank of Pennsylvania; stock owned by T. Kosciuszko search
- Barnes, John; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Barnes, John; letters from search
- Congress, U.S.; loans contracted by search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; Bank of Pennsylvania stock of search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; remittances to search
- Williams, George; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search