To Patrick Gibson
Monticello Dec. 24. 13.
While in Bedford I sent off two boat loads of flour, and a third was to follow, carrying in all between 140. & 150. barrels. we shall begin to send from hence immediately after the Christmas holidays. but we do not make half a crop here, nor more than half a one in Bedford. we shall soon see now whether the enemy mean to venture on riding in our bay through the winter. on that I suppose will much depend the price to be got. will not our merchants also venture as those of Baltimore do, to run thro them in dark and stormy nights? I drew on you a few days ago for 25.D. in favor of D. Higginbotham, and must ask the favor of you to send me 75.D. by return of post to meet a paiment for corn of which I have been obliged to purchase to the amount of 8. or 900.D. which will fall due at different epochs from this to May 10. accept the assurance of my esteem & respect.
PoC (DLC); at foot of text: “Mr Gibson”; endorsed by TJ.
TJ borrowed $25 from David higginbotham on 21 Dec. 1813 and drew an order of Gibson & Jefferson for the same amount the following day “to replace the above” (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1295). On 4 Jan. 1814, one day after he had received the desired 75.d. from Gibson & Jefferson, TJ paid Richard Bruce $56.67 for twenty barrels of corn that Edmund Bacon had purchased on his behalf on 4 Oct. 1813 (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1293, 1296).
- Bacon, Edmund; buys corn for TJ search
- Baltimore, Md.; merchants in search
- Bruce, Richard; and corn for TJ search
- corn; TJ buys search
- flour; from Poplar Forest search
- flour; price of search
- Gibson, Patrick; and payments to TJ search
- Gibson, Patrick; and TJ’s flour search
- Gibson, Patrick; letters to search
- Gibson, Patrick; payments made for TJ search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); payments made for TJ search
- Higginbotham, David; TJ pays search
- Monticello (TJ’s estate); flour from search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); flour from search
- War of1812; and prices search