To John Sen Trescot
Monticello Oct. 20. 13.
Your letter of Sep. 7. is just recieved, informing me that the society, heretofore called Antiquarian, had extended it’s views, and changed it’s name to that of the Literary & Philosophical society of South Carolina, and had named me one of it’s honorary members. I am very sensible of the honor done me by this nomination, and beg leave thro’ you to return my thanks to the society. my distance from the institution, as well as my time of life will, I fear, render me but an unprofitable member to the society: but I pray you to assure them that I shall with willingness and zeal avail myself of any occasion which may offer of rendering them service. to yourself permit me to offer the assurance of my high respect and consideration.
PoC (MoSHi: TJC-BC); at foot of text: “Doctr Trescot”; endorsed by TJ.
- Antiquarian Society of Charleston search
- Charleston, S.C.; learned societies in search
- Literary and Philosophical Society of South Carolina; TJ elected honorary member of search
- South Carolina; learned societies in search
- Trescot, John Sen; and Literary and Philosophical Society of South Carolina search
- Trescot, John Sen; letters to search