From James Monroe
I intended calling on you to day, which I still hope to be able to do in the afternoon. Your letter to Mr Carter is in all respects what it should be. I intend also to write him, & will bring my letter to him to show you.
I think it most adviseable that we should avoid a meeting at Mr Madisons, for the reason that has occured to you. I had intended to set out back to washington, in the commencement of this week, with intention to return here early in octr for Mrs Monroe, but the interruption by the rain & rise of the waters, has been such, as to incline me to delay rather longer here, & take her with me, at once.
RC (MHi); dateline at foot of text; endorsed by TJ as received 23 Sept. 1813 and so recorded in SJL. Enclosure: TJ to William Champe Carter, 23 Sept. 1813.
The enclosed letter received by private mail has not been identified. The note might have been Secretary of the Navy William Jones’s letter to President James Madison of 18 Sept. 1813 confirming Oliver Hazard Perry’s naval victory on lake erie, which was apparently forwarded to Monroe about this time (Madison, Papers description begins William T. Hutchinson, Robert A. Rutland, John C. A. Stagg, and others, eds., The Papers of James Madison, 1962– , 31 vols. Congress. Ser., 17 vols. Pres. Ser., 6 vols. Sec. of State Ser., 8 vols description ends , Pres. Ser., 6:639–40, 653–4).
- Carter, William Champe; and Highland–Indian Camp boundary dispute search
- Highland (J. Monroe’s Albemarle Co. estate); boundary dispute search
- Indian Camp (W. Short’s Albemarle Co. estate); boundary dispute search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; and Highland–Indian Camp boundary dispute search
- Jones, William (1760–1831); as secretary of the navy search
- Jones, William (1760–1831); letter from to J. Madison search
- Lake Erie; O. H. Perry’s naval victory on search
- Madison, James; letter to, from W. Jones search
- Monroe, Elizabeth Kortright (James Monroe’s wife) search
- Monroe, James; and Highland–Indian Camp boundary dispute search
- Monroe, James; letters from search
- Monroe, James; sends military intelligence to TJ search
- Monroe, James; visits Monticello search
- Monticello (TJ’s estate); Visitors to; Monroe, James search
- Montpellier (Montpelier; J. Madison’s Orange Co. estate); visitors to search
- Perry, Oliver Hazard; wins battle on Lake Erie search
- weather; rain search