To Caspar Wistar
Monticello Sep. 19. 13
The inclosed letter from mr Brackenridge on the subject of the mounds & remains of fortifications in the Western country, came to me without any indication whether meant, or not, for communication to the Philosophical society. considering it’s subject and the information it contains as meriting the attention of the society, I take the liberty of requesting your communication of it to them; and tender you the assurance of my great esteem & respect.
PoC (DLC); at foot of text: “Dr Wistar”; endorsed by TJ. Enclosure: Henry M. Brackenridge to TJ, 25 July 1813.
Brackenridge’s letter was presented to the American Philosophical Society at a meeting held on 1 Oct. 1813 and referred to a committee composed of Benjamin Smith Barton, Robert Patterson, and John Vaughan (APS description begins American Philosophical Society description ends , Minutes, 2 [i.e. 1] Oct. 1813 [MS in PPAmP]).
- American Philosophical Society; TJ forwards material to search
- antiquities; Indian burial mounds and fortifications search
- Barton, Benjamin Smith; and American Philosophical Society search
- Brackenridge, Henry Marie; on Indian antiquities search
- Brackenridge, Henry Marie; TJ forwards letter of to American Philosophical Society search
- Indians; burial mounds and fortifications of search
- Patterson, Robert; and American Philosophical Society search
- Vaughan, John; and American Philosophical Society search
- Wistar, Caspar; and American Philosophical Society search
- Wistar, Caspar; letters to search