To Randolph Jefferson
Poplar Forest Sep. 8. 13.
The cart sets out this morning with your spinning Jenny in perfect order, and will deliver it I hope safe from accident. according to present appearances I may leave this on Saturday morning, and if in time to get to Noah Flood’s I may be with you to dinner on Sunday,1 but if I get only to Henry Flood’s I shall dine at Gibson’s & be with you on Sunday evening; and it is yet possible I may be detained here till Sunday. my best affections to my sister & yourself.
PoC (ViU: TJP-CC); at foot of text: “Randolph Jefferson esq.”; endorsed by TJ.
During his return trip to Monticello from Poplar Forest, TJ had breakfast on 13 Sept. 1813 at gibson’s ordinary in northern Buckingham County before proceeding to Randolph Jefferson’s Snowden estate for what turned out to be his last visit to his brother’s home (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1187n, 1293; TJ’s Deposition Regarding Randolph Jefferson’s Estate, 15 Sept. 1815). my sister: TJ’s sister-in-law Mitchie B. Pryor Jefferson.
1. Preceding two words interlined.
- Buckingham County, Va.; Flood’s ordinary search
- Buckingham County, Va.; Gibson’s ordinary search
- Flood’s ordinary (Buckingham Co.; proprietor Henry Flood) search
- Flood’s ordinary (Buckingham Co.; proprietor Noah Flood) search
- Gibson’s ordinary (Buckingham Co.) search
- Jefferson, Mitchie Ballow Pryor (TJ’s sister-in-law; Randolph Jefferson’s second wife); TJ sends greetings to search
- Jefferson, Randolph (TJ’s brother); letters to search
- Jefferson, Randolph (TJ’s brother); spinning jenny for search
- Jefferson, Randolph (TJ’s brother); TJ to visit search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Family & Friends; relations with R. Jefferson search
- machines; spinning jenny search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); TJ returns from search
- Snowden (R. Jefferson’s Buckingham Co. estate); TJ plans visit to search