To Richard Rush
Monticello Aug. 23. 13.
Th: Jefferson acknoleges the reciept from mr Richard Rush of the originals of his letters of Apr. 21. and 23. 1803. and of Jan. 16. 1811. to his father, and begs him to recieve his sincere thanks and to convey the same with his friendly respects to mrs Rush & the family for this mark of attention to his feelings. he knew they would be safe while kept with the family; and was satisfied afterwards in the belief of their having been destroyed. he cannot be less so on their being put into his own hands. mr Rush will see the grounds of his anxieties when a like letter to Dr Priestley, published in England1 after his death, shall be dragged into our papers by those whose craft it attacks. he salutes mr Rush with the friendship which he bears to all the family of his deceased friend.
PoC (MHi); dateline at foot of text; endorsed by TJ.
1. Preceding two words interlined.
- Jefferson, Thomas; Correspondence; publication of papers search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Correspondence; return of confidential letters to search
- Priestley, Joseph; TJ’s correspondence with search
- Rush, Benjamin; TJ’s confidential letters to search
- Rush, Julia Stockton (Benjamin Rush’s wife); and TJ’s confidential letters to B. Rush search
- Rush, Richard; and TJ’s confidential letters to B. Rush search
- Rush, Richard; letters to search