To George Divers
Monticello Aug. 17. 13.
I have just recieved a copy of the Congressional assesment law, and find that it highly concerns our interest and attention. two officers for our district (of Amherst, Nelson, Albemarle & Fluvanna) are to be appointed by the President, 1. a Collector, and 2. a Principal assessor. the first is of no concern to those of us who mean to pay punctually: but the 2d is all important. the quota of our county or district (I know not which) is fixed by Congress in another law not come to hand, and this quota is to be partitioned among the taxable persons by the Assessor according to his estimate of our property. you are sensible how a bad man may indulge his partialities and prejudices in the execution of such a power. we ought immediately then to look out for & recommend to the President some man, just, capable, and without party or personal bias. I presume he should be taken from Albemarle or Nelson the two central counties. my acquaintance is not general enough to make the selection; and I wish therefore that those of more knolege of the characters among us, would give their opinions, which I will undertake to forward to the President. as far as my acquaintance goes among those who would accept such an office, I should prefer Peter Minor. but there may be others preferable unknown to me. be so good as to give me your opinion of the fittest person, & by the bearer if you can, as I set out on Saturday for Bedford. ever affectly yours
PoC (MHi); at foot of text: “George Divers esq.”; endorsed by TJ.
- An Act for the assessment and collection of direct taxes and internal duties (1813) search
- An Act to lay and collect a direct tax within the United States (1813) search
- Divers, George; and appointment of principal assessor search
- Divers, George; letters to search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Correspondence; letters of application and recommendation from search
- Madison, James; and appointments search
- Minor, Peter; and appointment of principal assessor search
- patronage; letters of application and recommendation from TJ search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); TJ plans visit to search