To Craven Peyton
Monticello Aug. 8. 13.
I inclose you a letter I have just recieved from mr Hornsby in answer to one I had written his father, for I did not know of his death. it puts his claim on the land on an entire new footing, denying that the mother, or daughters ever knew of the sale, or recieved a farthing of the money. if I were stronger I would ride down to see you. as it is I can only request if your business should bring you to Milton or near this place that you would be so good as to call on me; for I must be active in getting this matter settled while Capt Meriwether’s powers are suspended, and the rather as mr1 Hornsby appears to be a reasonable man. Accept my best wishes
[. . .] to return the letter
PoC (MHi); lower left corner torn away; endorsed by TJ. Enclosure: Thomas Hornsby to TJ, 21 July 1813.
A missing letter of 8 Aug. 1813 from Peyton to TJ is recorded in SJL as received the same day.
1. TJ here canceled “Hender.”
- Henderson, Elizabeth Lewis (Bennett Henderson’s wife) search
- Henderson case; claims by minor heirs search
- Hornsby, Frances Henderson (Bennett Henderson’s daughter; Thomas Walker Hornsby’s wife); and Milton lands search
- Hornsby, Joseph; death of search
- Hornsby, Thomas Walker; and Milton lands search
- Meriwether, William Douglas; and Henderson case search
- Nelson, Nancy Crawford Henderson (Bennett Henderson’s daughter; Matthew Nelson’s wife) search
- Peyton, Craven; and Henderson case search
- Peyton, Craven; letters from accounted for search
- Peyton, Craven; letters to search
- Wood, Lucy Henderson (Bennett Henderson’s daughter; John Wood’s wife) search