To Regnault de Bécourt
Monticello June 20. 13.
I thank you for the work you have sent me, & which I have no doubt I shall peruse with equal pleasure & instruction. I percieve by a glance of the eye over it that it brings into question both moral & physical doctrines of long & general standing. but we ought never to fear truth, nor hesitate to follow wherever she leads. I shall be glad to be a subscriber for a couple of copies of the volume you are about to publish, when printed. I shall have occasion ere long to make a remittance to M. Dufief for some other books I propose to ask of him, and will include in that the price of the volume sent & of the two now subscribed for. I tender you the assurances of esteem & respect.
PoC (DLC); at foot of text: “M. de Becourt”; endorsed by TJ.
- Bécourt, Regnault de; La Création du Monde search
- Bécourt, Regnault de; letters to search
- books; on natural history search
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; and R. de Bécourt’s book search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; receives books search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; subscriptions search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Opinions on; truth search
- La Création du Monde (R. de Bécourt); sent to TJ search
- natural history; books on search
- subscriptions, for publications; scientific search