From Mathew Carey
Philada June 3. 1813
I have taken the liberty to transmit You by mail, & request your acceptance of, a copy of “Sketches of the Naval History of the U. States,” which, due allowance being made for the haste in which it was prepared, will I hope be found not uninteresting.
RC (MHi); dateline at foot of text; at head of text: “Hon Thomas Jefferson, Esqr”; endorsed by TJ as received 9 June 1813 and so recorded in SJL. Enclosure: Thomas Clark, Sketches of the Naval History of the United States from the commencement of the Revolutionary War to the present time (Philadelphia, 1813; for a later ed., see Sowerby, description begins E. Millicent Sowerby, comp., Catalogue of the Library of Thomas Jefferson, 1952–59, 5 vols. description ends no. 531).
- books; on history search
- Carey, Mathew; and T. Clark’s Sketches of the Naval History of the United States search
- Carey, Mathew; letters from search
- Clark, Thomas; Sketches of the Naval History of the United States search
- history; books on search
- history; naval search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; works sent to search
- Sketches of the Naval History of the United States (T. Clark) search