To Charles Clay
Thursday morning, May 6, 1813.
TH. J. to MR. CLAY
Our spinning machine is in operation, and a piece of cloth is begun with the flying shuttle, neither goes on perfectly as yet, from the want of a little more practice; but they will give Mrs. Clay an idea of what would be their proper operation, if she can do me the favor to come and take a plantation dinner with me tomorrow. You will come of course, according to promise. Friendly salutations and assurances of respect.
Printed Tr (clipping from unidentified newspaper owned by ViCMRL, on deposit ViU: TJP); dateline beneath closing. Not recorded in SJL.
- Clay, Charles; letters to search
- Clay, Charles; TJ invites to Poplar Forest search
- Clay, Editha Landon Davies (Charles Clay’s wife); and spinning machines search
- Clay, Editha Landon Davies (Charles Clay’s wife); TJ invites to dinner search
- machines; flying shuttle search
- machines; spinning search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); spinning at search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); visitors to search
- spinning machines; at Poplar Forest search