To Samuel J. Harrison
Monticello Apr. 3. 13.
Your favor of Mar. 25. is recieved and I thank you for the offer it makes. I had desired mr Gibson on the reciept of my flour to remit 250.D. to Goodman as soon as he could make any sale. I found afterwards no sale could be made for a reasonable price, and therefore wrote the request to you to furnish that sum to Goodman, and countermanded my order on mr Gibson. in the mean time however he had remitted the money to Goodman. if you think the amount of the crop will cover one hundred dollars more, I would ask you to pay that sum to Nimrod Darnell who writes me word he is in want of it. but if it will not cover it, he must wait a little longer. I have about 450. barrels of flour in Richmond unsold. but having no doubt that the enemy will withdraw from the bay now that the equinoctial gales are over, I count on a speedy & good sale. they would certainly act against every principle of common sense or interest to remain there. for while they close the Chesapeake & Delaware not a barrel of flour can go to the W. Indies or the Peninsul., & they are starving too their favorites of Boston. New York had exported all her surplus beyond the wants of the army, so that no supplies can be had but from the Chesapeake & Delaware. Accept the assurance of my great1 esteem & respect.
PoC (MHi); at foot of text: “Mr Saml J. Harrison”; endorsed by TJ.
Nimrod Darnil (Darnell) sent TJ word of his need for $100 in a missing letter of 12 Mar. recorded in SJL as received 24 Mar. 1813. TJ’s 3 Apr. 1813 response to Darnil, not found, is also recorded in SJL.
1. Manuscript: “greet.”
- Boston, Mass.; impact of British blockade on search
- Chesapeake Bay; British blockade of search
- Darnil (Darnell; Darniel; Darnold), Nimrod; letters from accounted for search
- Darnil (Darnell; Darniel; Darnold), Nimrod; letters to accounted for search
- Darnil (Darnell; Darniel; Darnold), Nimrod; Poplar Forest overseer search
- flour; shipment of search
- Gibson, Patrick; payments made for TJ search
- Goodman, Jeremiah Augustus; Poplar Forest overseer search
- Harrison, Samuel Jordan; and payments for TJ search
- Harrison, Samuel Jordan; buys tobacco from TJ search
- Harrison, Samuel Jordan; letters to search
- New York (city); flour exported from search
- tobacco; sold to S. J. Harrison search