From David Bailie Warden
Paris—1 april, 1813.
on the 21st1 of january last, I had the honor of writing to you, by Doctor Stephens, and of sending, for your acceptance, a copy of the civil, penal, and criminal codes of France. I also inclosed a letter from mr. mazzei. I have since forwarded to you, by mr. Breuil, of the schooner Bellona, bound to Philadelphia, a box of garden Seeds from mr. Thouin—I now inclose his letter on this subject—Senator Tracy is still without information concerning the ms, forwarded to you by mr. Barlow—It would give me great pleasure to write to you on political subjects; but, at present, there is great danger of my letter falling into the hands of the Enemy—I have not yet received instructions from our government in consequence of the ministers’ death. All my time is occupied in supplying the Vacancy which it has made2—I pray you to present my respects to mr. and mrs Randolphe and to believe me your very3 devoted Servt
David Bailie Warden
[Postscript in Dupl only:] P.S. Having ascertained that the Captain of the Hornet left several trunks and cases, at Cherburg, which he refused to take on board, belonging to the Philadelphia society &c and seeing that the Copy of Toulongeon’s work to be forwarded by that opportunity was left at Cherburg, I send by mr. Hasler another Copy—the author died lately—much regretted—the Sudden departure of mr. Hasler does not allow me time to have it bound.
RC (DLC); at foot of text: “Thomas Jefferson Esquire”; lacks postscript; endorsed by TJ as received 28 May 1813 and so recorded in SJL. Dupl (DLC); at head of text: “Duplicate”; at foot of text: “the Honbe Thomas Jefferson”; endorsed by TJ as received 17 Sept. 1813 and so recorded in SJL. FC (MdHi: Warden Letterbook); in Warden’s hand; lacking postscript. Enclosure: André Thoüin to TJ, 15 Mar. 1813.
Although TJ probably never received Warden’s letter of the 21st of january last or its enclosed letter from Philip Mazzei, doctor Alexander H. Stevens delivered him the copy of the civil, penal, and criminal codes of france (Stevens to TJ, 10 Aug. 1813; TJ to Stevens, 23 Aug. 1813). Joel Barlow’s recent death had left vacant the position of United States minister plenipotentiary to France.
With the Dupl on 17 Sept. 1813 TJ received the work by François Emmanuel Vicomte de Toulongeon, Histoire de France depuis la Révolution de 1789, 7 vols. (Paris, 1801–10; Sowerby, description begins E. Millicent Sowerby, comp., Catalogue of the Library of Thomas Jefferson, 1952–59, 5 vols. description ends no. 240; Poor, Jefferson’s Library description begins Nathaniel P. Poor, Catalogue. President Jefferson’s Library, 1829 description ends , 4 [no. 88]). In the note to Warden to TJ, 26 Jan. 1811, the Editors incorrectly asserted that TJ received no copy of this publication until 1815.
1. RC and FC: “21st.” Dupl: “24th.” The earlier date is correct.
2. Closing in Dupl: “Please to present my respects to Mr. and Mrs Randolph—I am, Dear Sir, with great respect, your most obed Sevt.” FC ends here with “my respects to the family.”
3. Manuscript: “every.”
- American Philosophical Society; trunks and cases for search
- Barlow, Joel; death of search
- Barlow, Joel; forwards book manuscript to TJ search
- Bellona (schooner) search
- books; on history search
- books; on law search
- Breuil, Mr. search
- Code de Commerce (D. Raynal) search
- Code d’Instruction criminelle search
- Destutt de Tracy, Antoine Louis Claude; sends manuscript to TJ search
- Hassler, Ferdinand Rudolph; sends works to TJ search
- Histoire de France (F. E. Toulongeon) search
- history; books on search
- Hornet, USS (sloop) search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; works sent to search
- law; books on search
- Mazzei, Philip; letters from mentioned search
- Randolph, Martha Jefferson (Patsy; TJ’s daughter; Thomas Mann Randolph’s wife); greetings to search
- Randolph, Thomas Mann (1768–1828) (TJ’s son-in-law; Martha Jefferson Randolph’s husband); greetings to search
- Raynal, David; Code de Commerce search
- seeds; sent to TJ search
- Stevens, Alexander Hodgdon; forwards works to TJ search
- Thoüin, André; sends seeds to TJ search
- Toulongeon, François Emmanuel, vicomte de; Histoire de France search
- Warden, David Bailie; and Destutt de Tracy’s book manuscript search
- Warden, David Bailie; as consul at Paris search
- Warden, David Bailie; letters from search
- Warden, David Bailie; sends greetings to Randolphs search
- Warden, David Bailie; sends publications to TJ search
- Warden, David Bailie; sends seeds to TJ search